Harrytown Catholic High School

"I have come that they have life, and have it to the full". John 10:10

School History

In May 1912, Father Buckland, S.J., the rector of the Jesuit community then occupying Oakwood Hall, Romiley, invited a small group of Sisters from the order of the Sisters of Charity of our Lady of Evron to come to Harrytown to open up a Mass centre and school. The Sisters arrived from France to occupy Harrytown Hall next door to what is now the school. It is to the credit of that small band of devoted French nuns, none of them able to speak English that they persevered with their work and laid the foundations of the convent and school.

Harrytown opened its doors as a school on 13 January 1913 and the virtues of the order to which the nuns belonged of Charity, Humility, Simplicity, Service and Unity are values that remain central to our ethos. The original school was housed in what used to be the stables to the convent dating back to 1894 and this building is still part of the school today, although no longer as stables. Over the last century the school has been reorganised on several occasions from its original configuration of one class of just 10 primary pupils, via a convent grammar school for girls, to its current form which was established in 1978.

We are now a voluntary aided, co-educational comprehensive school for 11-16 year olds with c.790 pupils and c.140 staff. The school belongs to the family of schools which are under the direction of the Bishop of the Diocese of Shrewsbury. To date the school has only had 6 Headteachers and they have guided the school and maintained its values, ethos and mission.

  • 1913 – 1948 Miss McCabe (Sister Mary Imelda)
  • 1948 - 1954 Sister Hilda
  • 1954 - 1978 Sister Mary Francis
  • 1978 – 1986 Mr Harry Gillard
  • 1986 – 2003 Mr Gerald Roper
  • 2003 – 2013 Mr Damian Cunningham

A new website for our school is currently under

construction and will be available in the next few weeks.

 
 

Address: Harrytown, Romiley, Stockport, SK6 3BU
Tel: 0161 430 5277 Fax: 0161 430 1700
Headteacher: Mr K Turmeau